As a successful ultra-trail athlete and an energetic outdoor enthusiast, Seb runs 150-200km every week, but wherever in the world he finds himself, he always steps out with the same objectives: to be dazzled by nature, to discover new places, to explore his body’s potential and to share his challenges with others.
Birthdate: February 23rd 1972
Hometown: La Vienne, France
Homebase: Haute Savoie, France
Favourite Book: 'Encordé mais libre' by Patrick Berraud
Favourite Films: Lord of the Rings
Favourite Song: One, U2
Favourite Food: I love to try different foods while travelling. I really like fruits, vegetables and rice.
Biggest Dream: To enjoy new challenges in new countries.
Words to live by: To take pleasure while respecting the environment.
What inspires you? Nature. And finding animals on the trail or meeting people from diverse cultures.
Favourite fitness exercise: Cross-country skiing and mountain-biking
I don’t leave home without my… North Face shoes for sure!
Seb arrived in the world of ultra-trail running relatively late and with a wealth of unique personal experiences. As a child growing up in La Vienne, in the ‘flatlands’ of France, he excelled at road cycling and athletics and later specialised in the steeplechase. With a lifelong love of nature, he went on to work in the research lab at Marineland in Antibes before joining the special Alpine division of the French Army with whom he climbed 30 mountains.
With his twin passions for athletics and outdoor adventure, it was inevitable that Seb would soon discover the thrill of trail running. After leaving the army, he signed up for a 50km trail run on Mount Ferion in 2001. He was soon addicted and began training, studying and preparing for longer ultra races. He won the Libyan Challenge three times from 2007 to 2009, placed second in the 2009 edition of The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc, and triumphed in the Transgrancanaria races of 2012 and 2013. But memories matter more to him than trophies. When winning the gruelling Hardrock 100 race in America in 2013, he was as happy to see the rugged landscapes and wild animals as he was to pick up his medal.
Seb now lives in the beautiful mountains of France’s Haute Savoie region and schedules his training around his family commitments, often taking a photograph of his children to inspire him during runs. After overcoming recent injury and illness, he is now seeking new dreams and new horizons, targeting specific ultra-trail races which capture his imagination and dedicating more time to travel and adventure. A knowledgeable expert in endurance, nutrition and training science, Seb is now both a student and a master of his sport.
- 3rd place at Zolkan 4 days (2016)
- 1st place at the Ultra Trail Mount Fuji STY in Japan (2015)
- 1st place at the Harricana Ultra-Trail in Canada (2015)
- 3rd place at the Cursa de l'Alba - Marato de Montserrat in Spain (2014)
- 1st place and new record at the Hardrock 100 in USA (2013)
- 3rd place at the Ultra Trail Mont Fuji in Japan (2013)
- 1st place at the Transgrancanaria in Spain (2013)
- 8th place at the Otter Trail in South Africa (2012)
- 1st place at the Moins'hard in France (2012)
- 2nd place at the Lavaredo Ultra-Trail in Italy (2012)
- 1st place at the Raid Gravona in Corsica (2012)
- 1st place and new record at the Transgrancanaria in Spain (2012)
- 3rd place at the The North Face Trans Gran Canaria (2011)
- 2nd place at the Raid Gravonna in Corsica (2011)
- 1st place at The North Face Lavaredo Ultra Trail in the Dolomites (2011)
- 3rd place at the North Face Ultra Trail Du Mont Blanc (2011)
- 1st place at The North Face Endurance Challenge in Chile (2010)
- 2nd place at the Ultra Trail du Sancy (2010)
- 1st place at the Olympus Marathon (2010)
- 3rd place at The North Face Endurance Challenge in Argentina (2010)