ABS RECALL ACTION
ABS RECALLS EUROPEAN STEEL CARTRIDGES AND ABS TWINBAG SYSTEMS FOR CHECKING
Here you can find all the important information concerning the
immediate recall of the European steel cartridges and ABS Twinbag
systems, with explanations what you need do to have your ABS
products checked. We appologize for the inconveniences caused.
The producer and filler of ABS steel cartridges has detected problems in the filling process, and it is possible that steel cartridges that have already been delivered may have been contaminated during filling. The contamination residues could block the airbag system during subsequent activation. So far three instances of this problem, caused by the supplier, have occurred during training activations.
The following products are affected by the recall:
- all European ABS activation units in steel (steel + handle) with a filling date till 02.12.2014
- ABS backpacks with integrated Twinbag system (double airbag) on the market since 1996, including ABS Inside Partner models (Bergans, Dakine, Deuter, Haglöfs, Ortovox, Salewa, The North Face, Vaude)
Products not affected by the recall:
- Carbon cartridges
- Steel cartridges with a filling date from 03.12.2014
- ABS Monoairbags
- Yellow steel cartriges from North America
EXTENDED SERVICE HOTLINE:
- We have set up a service hotline that will be open from 08:00 to 18: 00 from Monday to Sunday until further notice in order to answer your questions regarding the recall action: +49-89-898789-66
- Of course you can also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.: we will answer as soon as possible.
WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS?
If you have products affected by this recall, please follow these
- Complete the recall form and send it off: you will immediately be sent a confirmation e-mail with your reference number as well as a DHL dispatch sticker within 24 hours by e-mail.
- Pack your products in one package and affix the DHL dispatch sticker. The backpack should be sent completely empty, without shovel and probe etc. We will only pay postage costs if the label is on the package. Please note that we cannot accept non-prepaid packages.
- Your products will be tested by ABS specialists. If your products are affected by the recall, they will be repaired or replaced accordingly.
- For customers from Switzerland and Norway: Please download a proforma invoice here, fill it out and attach it on the outside the package
- Customers from Norway, Finland and Sweden: Please activate your backpack with your steel cartridge and return your backpack with ABS System together with the empty steel cartridge via the mentioned DHL label. The empty cartridge is not considered as a dangerous good and can therefore be forwarded by DHL. The refilling charges are to our expenses.
If only your steel cartridge needs to be exchanged please contact
our customer service under email@example.com.
Avalanche airbag manufacturer ABS is responding to a fault caused
by a supplier with an immediate recall action: all European steel
cartridges (black) currently in use with a filling date of before 3
December 2014 must be replaced. It is possible that, during the
supplier’s filling process, machining residues could have entered
the cartridge which would prevent the airbag system from functioning
in future. All backpacks with ABS TwinBag systems (dual airbags)
that have been activated with a steel cartridge are therefore to be
returned to ABS for checking. ABS carbon cartridges and ABS Mono
airbags are not affected.
The producer and filler of the steel cartridges used in airbag systems has informed ABS that the steel cartridges supplied may have been contaminated with machining residues during the filling process. These particles could block the ABS system during activation. So far three instances of this problem, caused by the supplier, have been found. ABS places great emphasis on the quality and safety of its products. The Bavaria-based company is therefore recalling all European steel cartridges with a filling date of before 3 December 2014 for replacement. The filling date is located together with the weight on a round sticker on the cartridge. Owners of ABS TwinBag systems that have ever been activated with a European steel cartridge (e.g. for training purposes) must now return their avalanche backpacks to ABS for checking. A system check is required because previous activation of the ABS system may have caused the machining residues to have entered the system which might thus hinder or even prevent subsequent activation. Backpacks fitted with ABS TwinBag systems that are still in their original packaging or have never been activated with a steel cartridge are not affected and do not have to be returned, only the steel cartridges must be replaced. ABS Mono airbags and ABS Carbon cartridges are equally unaffected. ABS promptly informed the trade and the company has in addition set up a hotline for end consumers and dealers.